Monday, April 18, 2011

The Arby's Solicitation

While sitting in Arby's eating my lunch today, I was solicited for food by one of America's homeless.

I didn't see her come in; I only noticed her when she was right next to my booth. She put down her plastic sack containing some bottles with labels I didn't recognize, turned to me and said "I'm hungry. I want some food. Will you buy me some food?" Before I could respond, she went on "I'm homeless, I live on the streets, but someone I know let me stay with them last night.  They sent me to the store, I had to walk all this way, and I'm tired and hungry." She paused for a moment, then repeated "Can you buy me some food? I want that, what you've got."

I was completely taken aback by her manner. Aghast. Flabbergasted. I think I sat there with my chin hanging for a moment.

Here's why:
Her attitude as she gave her speech was haughty and brusque, and not at all sincere. She was seemingly flippant, so I was a bit unsure how to respond. I didn't mind getting her some lunch, but I was in the middle of my meal, and sitting alone. Since she had been to the store, I asked if her friend had not given her some money. She replied "Yeah, for the store, but I want some food", continuing to hold to her very loud and obnoxious style. I said "Ok. Are you going to be here for a little while?" She said she was. "Well, do you mind if I finish eating? I don't have any cash, just my card, and I can't leave my food." She then said "Well I can take it and go order."

Umm... "NO". I think not.

I repeated my request to finish my meal, and told her I'd get her something then. She sat down at the table nearest mine, and I went back to my food. Not two minutes passed, and she went to ask a man sitting across the room. He was with a group, and agreed to help her, so I was off the hook. Had she waited, I would have helped her, but she was impatient, and to me, that speaks of the lack of a genuine need.

I don't mind helping people in need, but the way she conducted herself rather put me off it. She was loud and offensive, walking around the place like she owned it and talking down to me as if I owed her something. When I told Daniel about it over supper, he brought up a simple truth. Americans are spoiled and lazy. There are so many programs that provide things free of cost to the poor without them having to do anything to earn it, that many of them have lost their sense of work-ethic. This is not always the case, but it certainly seemed so for the woman I encountered today. It's hard maintain a compassionate spirit in situations like that.  I felt a bit inept and uneasy following the experience, but I think I responded the best that I could given the circumstances.

Similar stories? Comments??

No comments:

Post a Comment